Dr. Yan specializes in forest-based biomaterials science and composites, bio-based adhesives and adhesion, digital printing, and surface sciences of paper. Currently, her research group is focused on developing novel environmentally-friendly green bio-based composites, producing green chemicals using renewable forestry biomass as feedstock, and engineering the next generation high valued paper based products.
Areas of study:
- Green chemicals and adhesives from forestry biomass conversion
- Green bio-based composites and products from renewable forestry resources
- Development of novel nanocellulose crystal based composite films
- Development of light weight sandwich panels for construction and automotive applications
- Paper-based inexpensive sensors and devices